Request for Proposals
Baltimore Ravens Mural Project: Arts Project Opportunity
The Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts (BOPA) in collaboration with the Baltimore Ravens seek Baltimore-based emerging & professional visual artists to produce creative, uplifting, and community-centered artwork designs that will be translated into decorative murals for painting on exterior walls to be implemented in the City of Baltimore and replicated digitally for the inside of M&T Bank Stadium.
The purpose of the Art Projects is to improve the appearance of an area, raise the profile, and tell the story of Baltimore in the revitalization of the city. The inclusion of artwork in public places increases quality of life in Baltimore’s dynamic communities, celebrates local artists, and promotes accessibility to the arts. The commissioned artwork should include and reflect the following element/themes:
- Baltimore Ravens and community impact
- Maryland/Baltimore pride and culture
- "Our City. Our Team."
- The brightness and potential of our hometown
This opportunity is open to emerging and professional artists residing in the City of Baltimore. Employees of BOPA and Baltimore Ravens are not eligible to apply. Two artist finalists will be commissioned to create finalized digital designs for fabrication and implement a painted exterior wall mural at pre-selected work sites.
The selected artists will receive a commission of $21,250.00 The funding is inclusive of all artist fees, material supplies costs, equipment rentals, digital file formatting services, installation and site work expenses, and taxes. Artist payments will be administered in phases as deliverables are met.
- Artists are encouraged to develop designs which have a positive local narrative and strong local connection, raise the profile or tell the story of Baltimore, celebrate community pride and/or feature highlights of iconic or important local Baltimore histories.
- Artists are encouraged to respond to the beauty and greatness of Baltimore, its citizens, neighborhoods, natural settings, landmarks, and assets.
- Art designs must be simple, affirming, identifiable, or recognizable forms that generally evoke positivity and are universally understood by both youth and adults.
- Artists must avoid using imagery and language which identifies athletes or administrative personnel from the Baltimore Ravens in the artwork design.
- Imagery must avoid violence, criminal or sexual activity, racist or religious symbolism. Imagery of suffering or death should be excluded.
- Clear, simple graphic design appropriate for large-scale outdoor use is required for all murals and digital art reproductions.
- Artists should consider the limited timeframe and project budget. The artwork must be of a nature that can be displayed by a public entity for the enjoyment of a diverse, family-type audience.
All applications must be received online through BOPA’s Submittable application page. All applications must be received by 5:00 p.m., Monday, September 20, 2021.
We’re here to help!
We are happy to help to answer any questions about the application process. For any inquires related to the call or artist selection process please contact Chris Brooks, Community Art & Special Projects Manager, Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts by email at email@example.com or by phone at 443-263-4338.
For technical assistance with logging into or navigating Submittable.com please visit https://submittable.help/